Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 30 Jun 1996 13:30:34 -0500
From:         kstanley@cas.org (Kerry G. Stanley)
Subject:      Re: '86 Syncro wheel bearings(and front shocks)

Good timing,

I am in the process of replacing front shocks and rotors/pads. While I haven't checked the exact thickness of the rotors yet, they are definitely worn after 150k miles. I was experiencing some brake fade.

Questions:

While I do not need to for shocks and rotors, how difficult was it to remove the axle nut and spacer and press out the stub axle from the bearing housing? I assume this will allow me to remove the front half axles with CV joints for maintenance. I can get to the inner CV joint easily enough but for the outer joint it seems removing the axle completely is called for.

How difficult to separate the rotor from hub, once the flat head allen bolt is removed? Thanks for the hints about the allen head bolt. So far after two days of penetrating oil and impact wrench mine have not budged. I expect they will be destroyed before this project is over!!

>From FLAPS I bought front BOGE shocks for $89 each and German made (Zimmerman I believe) rotors for $70 each. Pad set for $32. FYI

Thanks for your posting on the syncro front end. Not the simplest in the world!

Kerry Stanley kstanley@cas.org '86 Syncro ------------- Colin wrote: ... >6. Remove nut and spacer from stub axle. Press axle shaft out of the wheel >hub. >7. Remove bolts from lower control arm and radius rod end. pull wheel >bearing housing and lower ball joint out of lower control arm. >8. Remove 8mm flat heat allen bolt from disc brake rotor. Seperate brake >rotor from wheel hub. This is one place I had problems. The allen >slot stripped out, I had to weld a 5/16 bolt to it to remove it. Be >careful, I am having trouble finding a bolt to replace it with. > .... > > I purchased the bearing from an industrial bearing supplier. Bearing >cost $55.00 seals where about $4.50 each. FLAPS wanted $65.00 to $70.00 for >the bearing. I did'nt check the dealer;-) > >Part Numbers >Seals CR #25140 2 required >Bearing CR # FW161 or FKS # 305988 .... > >Thanks. >Colin A Moran > >If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, >baffle them with bull sh*t. > > '86 Syncro GL

------------------------------------------------------- Kerry G. Stanley Technical Services Representative Chemical Abstracts Service kstanley@cas.org 215-362-7280 -------------------------------------------------------