Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 04 Jun 1996 14:48:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: sway bar kit on a breadloaf

>My 70 westy handled like an uncontrollable wobbler until I replaced the ball >joints & shocks. Maybe the newer sway bars also make a difference. >I have tried to hold my speed down to 65 then everything seems under control

What tire pressures are you guys running?

In the (passenger car) tires on the V6anagon, I ran 35 rear, 30 front, and it wandered all over the freeway. Changed it to 37 rear, 25 front, and it smoothed out remarkably-- tracks straight and true, even in hard or gusty winds.

Reinforced tires, or Load-C or Load-D tires (as the owner's manual calls for) allow even a greater differential between front and rear tire pressures. Look at the sticker inside the driver's door jamb. Depending on the kind of tire (ordinary passenger car tires are NOT MENTIONED), VW calls for some astonishing differences between front and rear pressures-- probably for very good reasons. Those VW engineers knew how to make a vehicle handle well.

Try filling up your rear tires to the max that it says on the tire (or to 45 psi if the tire allows more than that), and put about 12-15 psi less than that in the fronts (but don't go below 25 psi in front). You may be pleasantly surprised next time you hit the freeway.

If you have four identical tires on your bus, call a tire store that sells that brand, and ask him to look up the pressures recommended by the manufacturer. Most tire places have books of such info-- don't take his guess.

If they are passenger-car tires, you may come up empty-- he may have no listing.

Don't do what I do, do what I say... <sheepish look>

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** It takes all kinds to make this world. That's why we aren't all Irish. *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------