Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 04 Jun 1996 18:15:58 -0400
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@usa.pipeline.com>
Subject:      Re: G60 in a Vanagon

Ric said:

>There is a major issue in putting "high performance" VW watercooled engines >in Vanagons, etc....and that is the rpms and torque production.

>You will be sorely disapointed in putting a G60 or even a 16v engine in a Vanagon...it >will not have any "off the line" power...and then at the upper end, the HP will be >useless because the frontal area of the van will prevent the same high speeds that the >engine can deliver in the sedan.

I agree with the first snip, not so sure about the second

If the high-performance engine has more or less equal torque at the lower end, and more torque at the upper end, then off-the-line performance will not suffer, and you can still put that higher torque to work climbing those long hills on the Interstates, which I'll bet is the biggest performance complaint of most Vanagon owners.

I also agree that the frontal area and weight of the Vanagon -especially a Syncro Westie- will eventually overpower the engine, but I have no desire to exceed 80MPH in my Vanagon, and there are many times I'd like to be able to maintain 70!

Here is some data on the stock Corrado G60:

RPM TORQUE 1000 97 1500 117 2000 130 2500 140 3000 149 3500 157 4000 154 4500 156 5000 135 5500 135 6000 125

The torque peaks between 3500-4500 RPM, which means, with my 90 Syncro's gearing, that maximum power will be available at around 70MPH, perfect for the Interstates. Off-the-line? I don't have complete wasserboxer figures, but the 2.1 liter engine produces maximum torque of 117 ft-lb @ 3200 rpm. Certainly, the G60 produces more torque at that specific point than the stock engine, and VW would have engineered the gear ratios around the maximum torque RPM.

Without all the torque data, I cannot be certain, but it appears to me that the G60 engine may not be as inappropriate as Ric suggests.

Anybody have a torque curve for the 2.1 liter wasserboxer engine? Anybody in beautiful San Lius Obisbo gone to drive that Syncro Westie with the chipped G60?

Tom F. 90 Syncro Westie