Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jun 1996 10:49:00 -0400
From:         "bill (w.r.) crick" <crick@nortel.ca>
Subject:      Re:Burning metal -> Class D fires

And Dyer Lytle thus wrote: >=20 > but I'm chicken of grinding and producing heat with magnesium since I > have no idea how to extinguish a magnesium fire. CO2 extinguisher I = guess)

No I don't think a CO2 extinguisher will work on magnesium. You need a Class D - burning metals extinguisher. I _KNOW_ a CO2 extinguisher won't put out an aluminum fire, as I tried this, and it didn't work very well. We did contain the fire until it burned out without burning down the high school. I thought the comment by the fire marshal was interesting. He looked at the aftermath, and the stuff we had to fight the fire, and commented that what he would have done in the same situation was "Pull the fire alarm on my way out of the building!". Of course we were too dumb to know this, and motivated to try to minimize the doo-doo we were already in.

NOTE: The cheapest Class D extingusher is a bucket of _DRY_ sand big enough to cover, and smother the fire. This works for small fire on the ground. NEVER try to put out a burning jet fighter this way;-)

Bill Crick 76 Type II/VI/VII Ottawa Canada

PS: Phone call to the Canadian Nuclear Safety Board from some Soviet Nuclear officials from near Chernobyl ->"Do you know anything about how to put out a large graphite fire?" was apparently the first hint to the outside world that Chernobyl had blown up! A neighbor of mine took the call 8-0!!!!