Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 05 Jun 1996 08:47:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: '71 Ignition Problems

>Finally got around to getting the '71 camper ready for the camping season. >Tried to start it and found there to be no ignition. I decided the battery >was dead. It HAD been there for a long time. Put a new battery in it and >still no ignition. I've checked all the fuses, all good. Any ideas where to >go from here?

I had a similar problem with my '71 bus. In my case, turned out to be a cooked wire from the ignition switch to the fuse box-- the one that has +12V when the ignition is on, but nothing when the ignition was off. At some point in the past, the fuse box had come loose from its mount, and rattled around till one of its contacts touched metal.

Not only was the wire cooked, but the terminal on the switch was burned/warped/corroded. Had to replace the switch and wire both.

My $.02

o o o o o o o . . . ________________________________ _____=======_||____ o _____ || http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia | | '80 V6anagon | .][__n_n_|DD[ ====_____ | Steve Maher smaher@gi.com | | '66 Mustang Cpv |