Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 05 Jun 1996 02:23:00 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      The Magic number 3600 & Over-optimistic speedometer

An old pal, Don Sherman, who used to be the technical editor of Car and Driver magazine taught me a handy relationship that faciltates rigorous observations with regard to speedometer readings. The mph times seconds per mile always equals 3600, so dividing your stop watch observed seconds between interstate highway mile markers into 3600 tells you exactly what your ACTUAL average speed is for that mile. Now lets assume your'e going along at 1000 mph. In your head you know that right on every 3.6 seconds you pass a mile marker. But how about the 58 seconds that my diesel Westy can maintain (in the radiator cooling rain)? Pocket calculator tells without a chart or interpolation. It was seeing the optimistic speedoemeter note that brought this to mind. I've used it for years, and enjoyed plotting my turbo charged BMW diesel 6 cylinder 2.4 liter motor powered Lincoln Continental's computer mpg display against speed. Using 10 mile incremets, from 48 mph to well above the speed limit, I verified that there are "sweet spots" where things work best. I can only speculate as to why the smooth curve that the squared and cubed load factors predict doesn't fit worth a damn, but it's true. Enventually I'll be able to report this data to you about the stock 1.6 liter diesel Westy. At that 58 second or would you prefer 62 mph cruising speed that my Westy can hold, the Lincoln gets 40 mpg with both air conditioning and cruise control running, its sweet spot. If there are other performance number collectors who'd be willing to share their observations based on odometer error corrected miles driven and brim full to brim full tank fills, I'd love to see your chart from say 50 mph to top speed. That reminds me, why does diesel fuel foam so much? It takes several minutes to get an absolutely full tank, due to this frustrating foaming. John Remember the number 3600, a stop watch and a calculator.