Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 06 Jun 1996 11:35:22 -0500
From:         Renee Norris <rnorris@wam.umd.edu>
Subject:      Re: The !New! Bungee bus (was:Type 2 Engine Mount)

Maher, Steve (SD-MS) wrote:

> Wonder what the properties of bungee cords are, in the transmission of > torque from clutch plate to tranny input shaft. This may be the Divine > Inspiration needed to get the V6anagon to stay on speaking terms with > its clutch for more than the usual 6 months...

When speaking of Bungee cords, one should offer the same awe hushed tones of reverence worthy of Velcro and Duct-tape (notice the capitalization). Bungees saved my Thing's conv. top after the factory clips disintegrated. Those fabulous elastic cords held down the top against the fierce winds buffeting the car as it flew down the highway at 50 mph. Bungees also came in handy when the throttle return spring...sprang on the carb and lasted an entire 200 mile trip. Those intrepid overlooked fasteners also held a door and the bumper on a 1957 split bug I bought in North Carolina and worked on the entire trip to Pennsylvania. (Alas the bug after being partially restored gave its economic value to the purchase of my Syncro). Also, Speaking of Velcro...I was in my Friendly Local Hardware Store (FLHS or maybe FLUSH?) when I saw three boxes of 15ft. lengths of Velcro marked at $1.59...not $1.59/ft. but, $1.59 for the whole box. Well I now have 45 ft. of Velcro purchased for under $5.00. ...I can't help but think that someone made a mistake in the pricing. One more inane thing, Bungee cords and Duct-tape were one of the first things I purchased when I joined our local Price Club. That and a 10 pound box of baking powder. I'm still looking for ways to use the baking powder. My wife lets me know everytime she uses a teaspoon of it for baking. Sorry for the waste of bandwidth. I know it's not Friday, but I am home sick from teaching with a Sinus infection and I'll be back to the grind tomorrow. Well, for 4 more days, then I go on an 11 week vacation camping and boating with my one true love. I might even let my wife ride in the camper too. -- ********************************************************************* _________________ | | Gary Norris: (|_________________|) '86 Volvo DL |\ \ | / /| '86 Cabriolet | \ \ | / / | '73 Thing | - \___________/ - | '87 Syncro Westy | 0 | | 0 | rnorris@wam.umd.edu |___|__|_____|__|___| "Never put off until tomorrow, what |__| |__| you can get someone else to do."