Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 1996 11:58:35 -0500 (CDT)
From:         jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu (James Brill)
Subject:      Changing air in camper

In one of Bob Hoover's posts he mentioned the problem of condensation inside of a camper. Two sleeping bodies can put out a lot of water in eight hours. I don't like this stuff dripping off the interior panels of my bus in the morning.

Bob mentioned the idea of using a small fan to exchange the air in the bus. I have in mind using something like a computer cooling fan. Not wanting to get too adventurous with rigging up electrical things that will be operating while I sleep, I went to Radio Shack. They have two small 12V fans that will do this job. These are their specs:

5.3 cfm 80mA 1w 1 9/16"

27 cfm 0.16A 1.9w 3"

A guess has the interior volume at something less than 500 cubic feet. I haven't put a tape on it.

My '71 campmobile has a T in the main heating pipe. When I pull a level under the drivers seat I can route or unroute a certain amount of heat towards the rear of the bus via a vent in the floor. This vent sets right behind and between the front seats. Under the bus the air is routed to this vent via one of those aluminum hoses. This is where I propose to tap the system and draw out the air. I haven't yet gotten under there and really looked things over, with this in mind, but I think I can make something work, being the handy guy that I am.

I guess this makes for three questions:

Is the smaller of these two fans enough to get the job done? I am thinking it would be easier to mount and would less draw on the battery.

If number one above is no: Will the bigger fan run for eight hours and leave me with enough battery for starting? I just installed the hugest group 42 battery and overhauled my generator. What is that amp hour thing again?

Does the place I have in mind seem like the best and easiest place to mount the thing? It might be less noisy more toward the front of the bus but there is no easy opening in the system up there unless you get under the dash. Also, I like the idea of drawing the air off the floor for some reason.

Comments? -- James A. Brill Jr. \\ // jbrill@unlinfo.unl.edu \\ \\// // If you're not outraged University of Nebraska \\//\\// you're not paying attention. free-lance homo sapien \/ \/