Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:46:00 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Sad note.

John Skegrud, a longtime VW mechanic at the dealership here in Bemidji died from cancer on Monday. He was in his late 40's and left behind a wife and family. John was always the one I hoped would work on my vehicles when I brought them in because he was patient and knowledgeable. John was also one of the few people left in town who knew aircooleds.

While I didn't know John that well, I feel a loss from his passing. He would always make a point to come out of the shop and discuss how my repairs went and was interested in tidbits I would glean from this list. Tall, lanky, greying hair and beard, shirt sleeves rolled up in a tight knot around his biceps Navy-style (he had 3 years in somewhere along his path)-- one could see his good and bad days in his fight.

Dealership mechanics are often maligned as inept and uncaring. John was neither. He was one of us.

-dan

Daniel Houg Section of Drinking Water Protection Minnesota Department of Health voice: 218/755-3820