Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:00:14 -0600
From:         meek@oanet.com (Gary Meek)
Subject:      Re: more Q's on the TDI

On Thu, 6 Jun 1996, brian verbeek wrote:

>> 1. If I run out of diesel, what happens if I get stuck and put >> regular gas into the car? Explosion? > > Putting normal gas in a diesel will give a lot of power and will >destroy the engine in a few minutes, the diesel has a very high >compression ratio compared to a gas engine (2 to 3 times as high) >it will constantly detonate, pre-ignite etc, ytou may even find that >the only thing that will stop a diesel running on gas is blocking the >air inlet. >

The VW owners' manual with my diesel allows the addition of up to 30% leaded or unleaded regular gasoline to the diesel fuel in the tank. Do not use Premium gas! I have done this on occasion. It will not destroy the motor, nor will it "detonate, pre-ignite etc." Since the fuel is injected at the correct instant, it will operate well so long as you haven't exceeded the 30% ratio of gasoline to diesel fuel. If you use too high a ratio of gasoline, you will produce too much heat and the head and/or piston crowns may be damaged. The motor will stop when you turn off the key and will not run on, because in a diesel you shut off the fuel supply when you turn off the key.

BTW, I keep a few litre 'gerry' can of diesel fuel under the third seat in the van, as a back-up. It's good security for times when you run out of fuel unexpectedly. It's also a nice safe fuel so I don't feel that I am compromising safety to have it inside the van with the passengers.

gary meek sherwood park, alberta, canada 82 Vanagon td 83 Quantum td