Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 1996 10:15:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Jonathan Dove <JDOVE@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu>
Subject:      Re: The Magic number 3600 & Over-optimistic speedometer

John Wakefield talks about using 3600, a stop watch and a calculator.

I do something like that but I use a Robic sports watch. This watch does lap and average m/kph readouts. You enter in the distance and press start/stop every mile/lap and it gives your speed. I have used method to fine out speedometer error. My GTI and rabbit truck are both 5 mph slow so I have to add 5 to my indicated speed to get my actual speed. This is between 40 to 70 mph. My Golf is 3 mph fast at this speed range so I have to subtract 3 from the indicated speed. I have not done this yet to the vanagon so I don't know its accuracy yet.

I also check the odometer error too. I drive 120 miles/day and part of my commute is a 31 mile stretch of interstate. I use the 30 mile markers as a reference. For example, in my 92 Golf. I found that driving 30 miles my odometer will read 30.8. which gives a 2.67% error. This is good to find out what your exact mileage is. I gave been doing this for several years. It is useful especially after getting new tires because they will read differently than old ones and if you change brands or sizes.

BTW, the sports watch I mentioned costs about $35-40. There is a more expensive model too. You can get them at most mail order racing supply houses.

Jonathan jdove@gsvms2.cc.gasou.edu