Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 07 Jun 1996 10:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: Type 2 Engine Mount

>>several of these things used with no apparent ill effects. But some older >>engines (maybe 1300cc and smaller?) had 6mm studs holding the oil pump >>cover on instead of the stronger 8mm studs used in later engines. I'm > > Uhh, correct me if I'm wrong here-the rear busmount was used on >'68-'71 models, right? And these models came with respectively, '68-'70 >1600SP and '71 1600DP, right? So who in thier right mind would put a 1300 >in thier '68-'71??? Just a thought... ;-) Although if some masachist >*really* wanted a 1300 in his breadloaf, who am I to say no? ;-)

Exactly. I have seen a 1300cc in a baywindow bus, in the U.S. no less. Personally I wouldn't do this-- my tendency is toward larger engines rather than smaller, as a few listmembers may have noticed. :^)

But if some college student just toasted his 1600 and still has to get to work next Monday, then that old bug engine under the tarp out back may offer a more viable alternative than walking. And with a busmount adapter it will virtually bolt right in (well, if it's 6V he'll have to change that too). I was just noting a potential problem with stress on the oil pump cover studs, especially the little ones.

I've seen bugs in countries other than the US, with a bewildering variety of engines that came as standard equipment, so I was told. In the Philippines, for example, there are 1971 bugs that came standard with 1300cc engines from the factory. The guy I talked to, was incredulous at the idea of a 1600cc engine in ANY bug-- I was referring to a custom- built hot rod, right? I don't think I ever did convince him that 1600s were standard in the US from the late '60s on.

I wasn't looking at buses at the time, so I don't know if these "smaller" engines were also available in breadloaf buses in these countries. In the US, bug and bus engines from the same model year were always the same size until 1972, weren't they? If that's also true of the overseas buses (don't ask me), then there might well have been 1200cc or 1300 cc baywindows in some of these countries. Buses needed bigger engines even more than bugs did-- Maybe these overseas buses followed the same upgrade lines as US buses did? Anyone know?

In the U.S., as you correctly point out, all baywindow buses came with various 1600cc type-1 engines, or with 1700cc or larger type-4 engines after 1971. But 'tain't necessarily so in other countries.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::: / :::::::::: :::::: S t e v e M a h e r ::::::::::::::::: / ::: : http://www.wp.com/IrishMafia \ \ : / smaher@gi.com San D ego, \ / / : / --- i C \ ____ / __ __ '80 V6 g n '6 an A i / . . ... a o 6 us g C bl / na M t oupv rt e/ This .sig is condemned due to quake damage. ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::