Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 1996 23:22:55 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 1300 & 1600 in late breadloafs (was Type 2 Engine Mount)

Steve Maher writes:

>I wasn't looking at buses at the time, so I don't know if these "smaller" >engines were also available in breadloaf buses in these countries. In the >US, bug and bus engines from the same model year were always the same size >until 1972, weren't they? If that's also true of the overseas buses (don't >ask me), then there might well have been 1200cc or 1300 cc baywindows in >some of these countries. Buses needed bigger engines even more than bugs >did-- Maybe these overseas buses followed the same upgrade lines as US >buses did? Anyone know?

Although it does not indicate the country of destination, many of the following 1300 & 1600 engines were installed in breadloafs (Sometimes it pays to keep the old parts catalogs and very outdated fiche films):

1300 Engines: Series AB Case 71-73, Series AR Case 74-75 (Talk about UNDERPOWERED!)

1600 Engines after 1971: Series AF Case 72-73, Series AR Case (Low Comp Pistons) 72-79, Series AS Case 74-79

Note: All were Dual Oil Relief Piston Cases and Dual Port Cylinder Heads. I've seen a lot of rebuilt engines from various suppliers using the "AB" Case from engines brought in from Europe - normally upgraded here to 1600.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com