Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 7 Jun 1996 23:52:12 -0700
From:         ddes@anet-dfw.com (David Schwarze)
Subject:      Re: Need Advice - New Motor in '76 Won't Run

At 10:39 PM 6/7/96, RON SALMON wrote:

>The motor was also purchased from a listmember, and was supposed to >have under 30,000 miles since a full rebuild. However, I cannot >make it run. It backfires _badly_ through the intake (we're >talking flames here!)

That's a sure sign of timing being off. WAY off. I seriously doubt there is anything wrong with the basic motor, based on your post. Line the thing up at Top Dead Center and make sure the rotor is pointing pretty close to either the #1 or #3 plug wire. If it isn't, turn the distributor until it is. If the rotor is already pointing at 1 or 3, swap the plug wires over. Switch 1 with 3, and 2 with 4. Then try starting the engine again. This has ALWAYS worked for me. Usually, I am off 180 degrees.

p.s. If this doesn't work, suspect your measurement of TDC. Don't trust the mark on the fan. You should be able to tell by looking at the valves - turning the engine over, TDC will be at the spot about halfway between when the intake valve closes and the exhaust valve opens. You can tell approximately where TDC is by when the motor is easiest to turn. If you get this far (valve covers off) do this on #1, and then compare to rotor position. Almost foolproof for setting basic timing.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) Dallas, Texas, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: ddes@anet-dfw.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (13.986@100.81) http://www.anet-dfw.com/~ddes '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================