Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jun 1996 17:49:30 -0700
From:         "Matthew L. Dekker" <mdekker@eskimo.com>
Subject:      Still Looking, EV this time

Hello everyone, A couple of weeks ago, I started a thread about a red and white bus next door to my sister in law's house. Turns out that for what the owner wanted for a '76 bus with the engine not installed, I can cover the difference in value between my Golf III GL and a Eurovan GL that I found at a local auto broker's.

The details:

'93 EV GL, 5 spd manual, front & rear AC, ABS, miles: 71,000. Asking just under $11,000. It originally came from Southern California.

This van does NOT have the convenience package of cruise control, power locks & power windows.

Since the van was blocked in by a half dozen other cars, I did not have the opportunity to drive it. I was able to run the engine which sounded ok and the exhaust and muffler looked ok. There was no damage at the jack points. I ran the AC which I thought was broken until I figured out the controls, the tires looked relatively new, but had different no-name brand pairs front vs. rear. The spare tire was worn on one side, could have been out of balance, or is this how tires wear with so much weight on the front end?

No sign of the cracked paint at the A and B pillars. The windshield did have a crack about a foot long running from the top left roofline to the A pillar. Has anyone ever had to replace a windshield on an EV? How much might this cost? A minor cosmetic blem on the rear bumper was the only other apparent flaw, where someone backed into something.

Since this EV has 71,000 miles, I am a bit aprehensive that annoying things will start creeping up like the timing belt, struts, clutch, etc. (All of the above happened when I took over a '80 diesel Rabbit from my dad at 75,000 miles.) Any hints or suggestions from the EV crowd about what else to look for? Or should I save my money and continue to look for one with less miles? A similar EV with only 42,000 miles at a local dealer is listed at $16,000.

Should I decide to go for this one, is that totaled EV still up in Alaska?

And a question for our European Caravelle owners: some time ago I noticed an aftermarket computer chip advertised in a British car magazine for the Caravelle (EV) to increase the stock 109 hp to 130 hp. Has anyone ever had any experience with this? Maybe with a new chip and a Projekt Zwo sport exhaust, it might not be too slow off the line....

Thanks in advance for all your help (and patience),

Matt Dekker mdekker@eskimo.com