Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 8 Jun 1996 18:45:06 -0700
From:         mwest@cdsnet.net (Mike West)
Subject:      Re: Heat handling design error help

>I believe the design weakness in VW water jacketed motor installations >most commonly responsible for failures is their marginal heat rejection >system. Not only were heat rejection design errors common, but the gas >motors developed a fearsome reputation for being easily damaged by >over-heat conditions that other power plants would typically accept.

>6) Oil cooling capacity from oil heated surfaces outside the engine are >too small and not optimally exposed to air flow. It's always better to >pull a btu from oil than the water based coolant. A loover sized heat >exchanger in the air dump? improve >oil heat radiation, or what ever occurs to you. > Thanks for listening and considering. > John Wakefield

I only want to address item 6. When you cool oil in your engine, you are cooling the oil and won't have much affect on engine temp at all. If you all feel otherwise, I really don't mind. I would also like to point out some numbers called coeffcient of heat transfer for various materials from Kents M E Handbook: Water transfers heat 7 times better than oil, Air tranfers heat 8 times better than water. By the way, what's an air dump? Is it like a bucket of prop-wash?