Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 08 Jun 1996 21:58:56 -0700 (MST)
From:         tschroe@aztec.asu.edu (TODD R. SCHROEDER)
Subject:      More Fire Paranoia

Well, got up at 0530 this morning to do the 3000 mi maintenance on the bus. One of the jobs was to clean off all the crap hanging on the solinoid which contributes to old bus starting disease. I pulled off all the connectors and sprayed the thing with [gulp] carb cleaner to make all the connex nice and shiny. Somehow, I'm not quite sure how, the tail end of the big hose clamp which attaches the heater hose to the right-hand heater box made contact with the B+ contact on the starter, which does a really good job of making sparks, which do a good job of igniting residual carb cleaner. I had the presence of mind to simply blow the thing out before it managed to melt wires or anything -- yeah, I was the kid who would squirt lighter fluid on his finger, light it and let it burn for a second before blowing it out. Anyway, a word to the wise -- 3" is too much free end for that right-hand hose clamp.

Also -- pulling out of the FLIAPS as I was pulling in was a bay-window panel -- [no windows behind the doors] Not a common vehicle in the States, even here in Aridzona.

Cheers

-- Todd R. Schroeder | Without vision, a people perish. tschroe@aztec.asu.edu | Proverbs 29:18 KJV