Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jun 1996 11:14:11 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      Rear Suspension dampers (buffers) on '67 Westy

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has been posted as well.

Before throwing another question out to the list, I would like to thank all those VeeDubbers out there who sent along all the various pieces of info in response to my VIN No. question (I still haven't solved the puzzle of why my Chassie No. is 247016777 which indicates a '67 Deluxe MicroBus is in direct contradiction with the fact that Ras Bulli Split has only three windows per side aft of the doors, but does have the Chrome emblem, etc...) This question is still open....

My new problem has arisen in result of my current "suspension renewal" phase of this never ending restoration. According to Bentley, the presence of "additional buffers" on the rear suspension, just behind the shocks (FIF), occurs only on the 1 tonne bus (and not on the more common 3/4 tonne) [ As an aside, this also has contributed to my chassie no. dilemma as I am under the impression that the Standard MicroBus has only a 3/4 tonne carrying capacity].

Anyhow, I ordered new buffers/dampers from VW (at 45$ each ...for a chunk of rubber), but the driver's side mounting cup (on the drive shaft sleeve) is missing the centre stud that the rubber buffer pushes onto [the passenger side is present]. These mounting cups appear to be bolted on the outside end, but tack welded to the sleeve on the inboard end. The microfiche at the VW dealer appears to indicate that the entire sleeve must be replaced in order to replace the damper/buffer mount (VW only sells the sleeve with the mounting cup attached as a replacement part).

My question: "Is it possible to remove the broken damper/buffer mount and tack a new one in place?" Will this hold? And finally, does anyone have this part (or an entire driver's side sleeve) in good condition that they would be willing to sell/trade?

Bugs & Things & Bricks....Oh my,

Roy