Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 1996 20:31:12 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      VW Classic or Bust - IT WAS BUST :-(

Being a major sponsor of the VW Classic normally inspires one to make an appearance, bring along a few things to sell, go to the SOTO Meet, Toy Show, hobknob, etc. But due to an uncooperative 80 Wanagon, I failed to make the first one in 11 years.

I should have known it was a bad omen 2 1/2 weeks before when I cracked a piston ring in #2, just before Sacramento Bug-O-Rama (didn't make that one too). I figured what the heck, I'll make the Classic after throwing new P&L's, seals and gaskets, break it in properly, etc. Was runnin' fine up thru Wed 6-5 and after loading Safari Windows, Side Steps, Display Cases, etc., in 100+ degree weather I was ready to roll at 2AM Thursday to be in L.A. to go to the annual WCM Host Sponsor party that afternoon/evening (it takes about 11 to 12 hours to reach L.A. from Redding by way of loaded Wanagon).

So everything's fine, oil temp is doin' just great at 190F until I reach the north end of Lodi, just south of Sacramento (I-5 at CA Hwy 12) and after a few jerks, clatters and such the 2.0 just locks up! Seized to the MAX. I call an uncle who lives in Stockton a few miles down the road and have the Wanagon towed to his place. Call my sister in West Sacramento to haul my butt back to Redding (she say's "I didn't wanna go into work today anyway"). My funds are stretched a bit thin, so I can't rent a van to continue south to the shows, so I spend the rest of Thursday and Friday looking for a truck and flatbed trailer to eventually haul it back to Redding on Saturday (which I did). Spent today unloading the stuff back into the warehouse. In addition to good chunk of change spent on sponsoring, about $150 in gas (Wanagaon & truck) the potential loss of about $5000 of possible on-site sales, I'd say it was a BUST.

But I'm sure it was a great time to be had by all that were there :-) Hey Rusty, give me some details when ya get back - thanks!

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com "Wunnerful, a wunnerful, somebody please turn off that bubble machine!"