Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Jun 1996 12:30:05 -0300
From:         Roy Nicholl <rnicholl@asg.unb.ca>
Subject:      Re: VIN/Chassie No. Questions

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has been posted as well.

Veedubbers:

I have discovered more info that may help solve the origins of my my '67 Westy. I had posted to the group my chassie number (247016777) as taken from the engine compartment. This lead to much more confusion for I as this number indicated a Deluxe MicroBus and my bus appears to be a standard MicroBus (three windows/side aft of the doors). This morning, new discoveries were made which appear to re-inforce that my bus is indeed a standard (or at least part of it is) and perhaps a troll :-( [I am starting to believe that the metal in the engine compartment may have been added as a replacement..though it looks original. My other theory is that the body may have been dropped onto a frame/pans from a Deluxe....I need help here].

This morning Liz was removing some of the ugly decore that had been added by the PO, when a small, well-painted plate was discovered. It is riveted to the passenger's side of the vent assembly just above the windscreens. My attempt at reproducing the layout of the plate follows:

----------------------------------------------- | V O L S K W A G E N W E R K A G | | MADE IN GERMANY | | Typ 23-42 | | * Heizg Typ 2/255A Prutz....545 * | | fahrgest-Nr 236143257 | | Zul Gesamigew.Kg 2070 Baujahr | | Zul AchslastwornKg 950 [b]intenKg 1150 | ----------------------------------------------

Note: The '*' indicate the rivets.

My interpretation of this suggests that 236143257 is a Chassie/Vehicle number. Though this disagrees with the number found on the engine compartment floor, it does indicate a standard MicroBus which better fits the rest of the characteristics of Ras Bulli.

Liz also discovered grey cardboard headliners in the cab and that the metal (eg dash and vent assembly) appear to have been orignally painted some shade of green, while the parcel shelf, and most other body panels appear to have always been red; I also cannot find any indication that the roof was ever anything but white. I was always under the impression that the dash and interior trim was always the same color as the lower half of the exterior. Is it possible that my bus was originally three toned? Or, does this just re-inforce my suspicions that there are really two buses involved here?

Help.....please....

Bugs & Things & Bricks....Oh my,

Roy