Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 1996 20:06:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Matthew Henricks <mjhenks@engr.csulb.edu>
Subject:      VW Classic Weekend and how my truck did

I won, I won, I won. read on.

well, just got back from the VW Classic. also went to the SOTO meat yesterday and the Berg Rally on friday. Meet up with Rusty Vanbondo on both day's and got to talk and look at picts of his imfamous "Resto From Hell" i must say that it has com along way and from what i say, is on i's way to being one heck of a bus. It looks like it will look fabulous. Good job Rusty. Also hooked up with Tim from long beach and meet his family. Hope you get back on the list tim.

The Berg rally was fun although we got there late. it was dark, and well, we got totally lost. needless to say, we did not finish it. (Anybody know where the "Casteroil" sign was? the first clue) It is real bad to use a 6v car to do a rally at night. i would not recomend it. it was fun though driving around Orange like a lost tourest. There were quite a few others doing it with us also.

The SOTO meet was good. not as many bus's as in the past, but it was fun. There were quite a few folks with parts for sale, myself including. I know that i did good, and i think that most others did too. It seamed like parts were selling. Charlie Hamill had his low milage 1960 westy out as well as a never seen befor, all original 1961 single cab. It has 20,000 original miles and is the same light grey color as my truck. even smelled new. The rest of the SOTO was as usual. Alot of nice and not so nice bus's there.

Didn't go to the toy show, so cant report.

The classic. What a show. i got there at 7:15 and the line was all the way out to the freeway. That is about 1 mile, t cars wide. The entire parking lot was full by show time. oh, i would say 1000+ VW's. real cool to see. there were about 40 bus's in the vintage half and a few less in the custom half. Good turn out. some real nice ones too. best in class for earli campers was Blue Nelsons optioned out doormobile. he took this one to the northers canada last year and flipped it on it's side. Real need picture of it too. it looks perfect now. Best for earlie passenger was a 65 deluxe micro. It was BEUTIFULL. it had been apraised at $27,000 and looked it. the paint was flawless. T

The winner of the earlie comertial class was, well me. my crew cab won first in vintage comertial class. i was exceted about it. I had alot of folks looking at it and asking all kinds of Q's. i had it for sale, but got nothing definate. I did get a few good leads though. We will see what happens. I also spoke with Hot VW's and we are going to shoot a full spread article for the truck this weekend. That really made my day and also made all the work worth it. Now to find a good place to shoot it. any ideas.

Other notable vehicles there was a 59 beetle with 4,500 original miles. What a nice bug. totally original and unused. There was a "freedo" (SP) bus there too. that is one of the old original german postal vehicles. cool looking. Quite a few "bindz" crew cab's, 2 ladder trucks, 2 fire trucks, a ambulance, a 51 panal van (real nice totally restored), 46, 49, 50 bettles. also a few old keblewagons, a BD deluxe micro, a cool double door standard deluxe, a few romesh's and alot of other real nice car's. you name it, and it was there. Alot af parts for sale too. i did not buy anything though as right now i have no projects to work on. i guess i will have to fix that.

anyway, it was a fun weekend, one definatly coming out for next year. Furthest driven car was from Quebec, and i spoke with folks from England, Australia, Japan, Germany, New Zeland and Denmark. It is woth the trip. plan now for next year.

Take care and God Bless matt