Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 9 Jun 1996 23:53:01 -0400
From:         Remuse@aol.com
Subject:      Agony and Ecstacy

I misinterpeted the swift replacement of the 81 motor as ecstacy; it was just a setup. No kidding, it went back in fairly easily with the assist of my son acting mainly as an extra set of eyes. Hooked everything up , A to A, B to B, etc, with no left over pieces and prepared to do the cranking bit to get the oil up before actually firing it off.

No start! the fuel pump pumped and there may have been a click at the solenoid but I'm not sure, but no starter action in any event. The battery is good and the starter is only a few months old with no slips prior to removing the motor. Fooling around with the connections at the starter with a wrench told me real quick that there is power to the solenoid since I'd forgotten to disconnect the battery. Then it was too dark to mess with it anymore tonight.

Any guidance would be appreciated here. Should I treat the problem strictly as a starter problem or is there something downstream in the FI system that would have an effect on the starter? I'm not clear what path Mr. Electricity has to travel to get to the starter, my impression was that it was independant of the brain etc. Working from memory, there are three sizable wires with "eyes" connected to the post and two smaller wires duplexed to a single spade fitting all on the solenoid. Am I missing anything? This is an automatic; could mating up the trans and motor in some way "seize" the starter?

For the time being the neighborhood victory tour to return borrowed tools etc is postponed again. Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Weston