Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 1996 10:15:01 -0400
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@usa.pipeline.com>
Subject:      Mid-Atlantic Camping Trip: Details and Directions

Looks like we have a minimum of 8 buses coming so far, and room for more!

Details: Friday June 21 (early arrivals)-Sunday, June 23, at the Elizabeth Furnace Campground, Massunutten Mountain, in George Washington National Forest. $11.00 per night, we can park two vehicles at each campsite. Generally, this is near the intersection of Interstates 66 and 81, in northwest Virginia.

VW activities, besides the usual bragging and lying, will include an off-road excursion on the seven mile Peters Mountain Trail; those without Syncros are welcome to come along for the ride!

Non-VW activities include large variety of hiking, from kid-friendly nature trails to strenous bushwacking. Elizabeth Furnance itself is the remains of an old iron smelter, and there are other historical attractions nearby. Sounds like there will be plenty of kids attending, some are bringing bikes and soccer balls. I understand canoe and kayaking are also good in the area. Shenandoah Caverns is nearby, a nice, cool, slightly touristy stop.

Potluck dinner Saturday nite: I'll try to coordinate with those that confirm so that we don't end up with nothing but tuna casseroles, but if you decide to come at the last minute you'll be quite welcome, try to bring something to serve 8.

Vague Directions (i.e., get a map and this should make sense):

>From the north, take I-81 south to Strasburg (Exit 298?). Find your way to Route 55 east. From the east, take I-66 to Exit 6, and head south toward Front Royal until you pick up 55 going west. In either case, take 678 south to the campground. There is a Elizabeth Furnace Group Campground that you will see first, that is not it. Keep going. Total distance south on 678 is on the order of 5 miles.

If you are coming from the south you could just run up I-81 to Strasburg, or get off at Edinburg (Exit 279)and head southeast on 675 until it crosses 678, then turn north toward the campground. From the southeast, one could also pick up 675 at Luray, head northwest until meeting 678, then turn north etc.

Keep me posted on your plans!

Tom F.