Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 96 14:34:50 PDT
From:         stafford@newport26.hac.com (Jack Stafford)
Subject:      VW Classic in Irvine, CA

I arrived at the Irvine Meadows Amphetheater around 10:am. There was no line getting in to pay the $12 admission fee. Parked the car under the light pole #2 ("dos" in spanish) we always parked there for the Grateful Dead concerts played in the 1980's. We never lost a car :)

As soon as I got in the gates I noticed a small collection of early busses. There was an ambulance, 2 fire trucks with ladders and one fire truck with a hose pump, a barn-door deluxe micro, a barn-door panel van in red and green, a split-screen bus with a huge square van body on it's back and a white high-roof bus. I oohed and aahhed over these for a long while and decided to save some film for the rest of the show.

There was a stage with live surf music pumping out and nearby were a couple of cars I photo'd were a '46 beetle and one of those things made by Westfalia for a european postal service (that looks like a cross between a Type3 and a bus) I forget the actual name.

Cars were sorted in the show - Buggies, Beetles, Type3s, Ghias, Things, Hey what are the busses doing all the way at the back along the fence? I went to investigate and found a double cab with a Porsche 6cyl and air. A Vanagon single cab, Vanagon double cab and Vanagon double cab Syncro. Next to the single cab was none other than our own Rusty Van Bondo and his '91 Westfalia. I knew that net.shirt would come in handy 'cause later in the day I was also spotted by Lisa and Risto. Thanks for the shirt Richard, it really works.

There were'nt too many early bay-window campers like mine. Some of the cars in the show looked really rough. I may enter mine next year since it seems they let semi-beaters in. There was a beige bay-window camper with a Devon pop-top and a split window Devon that had a tent on the side. The one with the tent was in immaculate condition. I wonder if it had ever _really_ been camped in. On the way out I snapped a few more photos of a Kubelwagen and a couple of Rometsch cars. BTW, I'll be bringing the photos to Sequoia this weekend for the CCC gathering.

Jack '73 Westfalia Costa Mesa, CA