Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 1996 14:03:26 -0700
From:         Bren Smith <bren@ccnet.com>
Subject:      RE: Replace Clutch?

>Even if you feel a difference in the amount of pressure it takes to >flex the springs, it's hard to say how much difference it takes to >make a decision. Personally, I say that if you feel ANY difference, >or see any noticable wear in the disc, then go ahead and replace the >entire clutch: Pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. >And take off the flywheel and bring it to a machine shop for resurfacing-- >your new clutch will be smooth as silk if you do this. If you don't, it >may chatter whenever you let up the clutch pedal, announcing to all the >world that you're a lazy cheapskate (resurfacing costs around $25 here).

Steve,

In my newly acquired '76 DC, I get the chattering clutch but only when in reverse gear. All 4 forward speeds work with no chattering whatsoever. I know that I need to go through and completely replace at some point, but why is only reverse affected?

Cheers,

Bren

============================================================================ Bren Smith | 4 Orinda Way, Bld. C | 510/253-3048 tel | '76 Crew Cab Dantz Development | Orinda, CA 94563 | 510/253-9099 fax | bren@ccnet.com ============================================================================ Aller aux toilettes sans faire de bruit, c'est comme jouer de la trompette sans tuba!