Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 10 Jun 1996 19:08:09, -0500
From:         TVCR50A@prodigy.com ( MICHAEL G BENTHIN)
Subject:      Re: Heat handling design error help

Joh Wakefield wrote in regards to Mike West's query on air dump:

Mike went on to ask "By the way, what's an air dump? Is it like a bucket of prop-wash?" Sorry Mike and others who may not have recognized my use of language common to the heating & air conditioning trade. I simply meant the end of an air flow path from which used air is exhaused. On the Vanagons, I believe you'll find one high on each side near the tail end, designed to take advantage of the low pressure area induced there by speedy forward vehicle movement."

Your comment regarding cooling air flow (making its end point more effiecient) led me to wonder about thse silly extra pipes put in at the FRONT of the heater boxes and extending rearward to apparently bypass air to the REAR of heater box when its flaps are closed to car interior. They are on my 78 bus, not on a 77. I tossed them away since they block easy access to valves, and covered the the outlets, figuring this left more air pressure to cooling the engine, then realized that they helped cool the top of the heater box so oil dripping on them didn't end up as smoke- and then left them uncovered. Do you or anyone have any comment on why these pipes were added? Seems like a waste of cooling air when heater boxes are off. MB in NJ