Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:45:17 -0700
From:         jwakefield@4dmg.net (john wakefield)
Subject:      Removing broken bolts revisited

A few days ago I responded to a request for suggestions as to how to remove broken bolts from a block. I described having heard and once seen the process of using an electric arc welder to fuse a welding rod to the broken end, and using the newly formed single piece to screw the remaining bolt end out. Well, I just had a chance to ask this expert and practicer of many strange and unexpected tricks, just how it's done. I'll leave out the references to pregnant female dogs, their offspring, and sexual acts, but my lack of precision in this description is largely due to the fact that my source understands, feels and acts in an artful way rather than as a calculating engineer. He covers the outside of the rod with something nonconductive, some thin tubing or even tape will do. Then he selects some rod that's really large for the hole. He selects an amp range using his AC welder that will easily deliver some good "fire." Then he starts and briefly maintains an arc, enough so there's no doubt that he has two molten ends. Next he "sticks" them together, and instantly releases the rod from the rod holder by depressing the spring loaded holding clamp. Then, he bends the rod 90 degrees compared to the part that's stuck. "Now, you have to wait for a bit, so the heat will work its way down into the part and disturb the frozen surfaces. Then you just turn it out using the bent part of the rod as a handle." He's done it a lot in the last 40 years, and he says those 5.7 liter GM diesels needed it a lot. He also reports that it seems to work better on stuff that's not too small. Well, that's it folks. I tried to pump for more specific measurable descriptors, but that's just not the way he does things. Hope this adds something usable to a stuck persons arsenal. Lots of us have struggled with "easy outs," and the success rate is reported to be better for this technique. Failure will leave the familiar artful drilling etc. Good luck, John