Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:41:51 -0400
From:         30erainey@sophia.sph.unc.edu (Eric Rainey)
Subject:      65 generator/fan/doghouse/ shriek and wail

So, I got the generator out, replaced, and put back in. Major headache, almost worth the $50 it would have cost to have someone else do it, but I have yet to find the mech I trust with my jewels, at least in Salisbury, NC where Gert's hanging out. Nevertheless, I have questions, not political commentary. 65 bus, with a 73 super beetle engin in it. (I guess this is a 1600?)

I put it back in, I noticed the generator didn't rest on the stand. As I suddenly recalled, when I took the old one out there was something filling in that gap. I cursed and cursed as I failed to locate that something, but stuck a couple of brackets in there to fill up that space.

Problem #1: The generator should rest just fine on that stand, shouldn't it? What can I do to see that it does? The doghouse, tho, won't seem to go down any more, no matter how much I cuss and scream and kick and shake. What to do?

So I put the bracket things in there and get the belt tight and everthing. Start up the bus, loud shriek. Go back there, process of elimination leads to fan (I pull the doghouse back (FIF) and there's no more noise). The problem (Insert "probelm #2" here) is stop-gapped currently by a bungee cord (remember that discussion?) pulling the doghouse back (RHS of doghouse across carb to brace on LHS of front side of back panel). Any help wouldn't suck.

TIA, Eric Gertie