Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 12:36:39 -0700
From:         mike@arnold.ca (Mike)
Subject:      The Mystery Machine Lives..but costs

Just got 'the call' from the auto place. I'm very disheartened. As it turns out the van not starting was caused by 2 things. 1) My oxygen sensor was toast, and 2) I need a new voltage relay for the battery. Together with the towing cost and labor it came to $350 in repairs. AAAAARRGH! And Ive only had the damn thing a month. And then to add to the whole sinking gut feeling he tells me "you need new brake pads, rotors and new front tires, but if your not about to ake any long trips you could postpone it for a bit." Well well well..just my luck that I have to leave on hoidays at the end of next month, so YES I will need to get that done I spose sometime in the next while which means that yet another load o' cash will be spent. Unless.......how hard is it to but on new rotors and brake pads? Can I get good used ones (I wouldnt think so but I'll ask anyhow)? From what my mechanic informed me he said new brake pads will be $40/pair, rotors will be $200/pair, and $100 in labor. I;d like to aviod the later if possible. He said that new tires would cost around #160 each.

Does this all sound on the level or what? An dcould I do some of this work myself? Any help would be appreciated in this...my time of great sorrow. I was prepared for some little problems, but not a grand worth in one month! And it had to be the month I was moving!

disgruntled yet stillll in love with the van, mike

________ /________\ / = \ Mike Wynn (mike@arnold.ca) [ I_________ I ] Arnold Publishing and Multimedia in Edmonton I V I Alberta, Canada I (0) W (0) I =========== "See you on the other side." - Ozzy I_I I_I '83 Westfalia "The Mystery Machine"