Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 14:17:58 -0700
From:         busgirl@netcom.com (Martha)
Subject:      sherman pass not yet open

For those of you planning to attend this weekend's campout, coming from the eastern part of the state: word is, that Sherman pass is STILL not open. If Walker is your second alternative, PLEASE call before you drive to make sure that it is open by now.

A significant number of you asked me to repost the directions with the correction, so here goes:

At long last - the directions you've all been waiting for. :) Please print these out and take them with you. To orient you in general, this camp area is approximately 23 miles NE of Calif. Hot Springs, which is N and a little W of Isabella Lake, which is basically E of Bakersfield. I think you'll still need a good state map of California to supplement what I've written.

Note for those of you coming from eastern California: _Please_ call the CHP before departing to make sure Walker or Sherman passes have been opened up.

Note to everyone: here's some numbers of various divisions of the forest service, which may help if you get stuck, since we are camping in the Sequoia National Forest (= free, no fees, no attendents):

619.376.2171 805.548.6503 209.784.1500

General notes: we'll be camping at about 5,000 foot elevation. It could be hot and/or cold. There's supposed to be a lot of mosquitoes. There are NO amenities. Bring your high-powered porta-potties, or whatever else makes you feel secure. :)

Here's 4 ways to get to the town of Johnsondale, from which the directions, below, apply:

1. From SE Calif., take 395, to 14 W, to 178 W (which is Walker pass). Go to the northern tip of Isabella Lake, then proceed N toward Johnsondale.

2. From E Calif., but further north, take J41 over Sherman pass, proceed toward Johnsondale.

3. From NW Calif., I STRONGLY recommend that you observe #4 below. Otherwise, the alternative is to take 155 E thru Glenville to Isabella Lake. This may look more direct to you on the map, but I was on this road several months ago, and it nearly killed my air-cooled engine. Schwarze tried to warn me, but I didnUt listen :) Anyway, from the Bay Area, my suggestion would be to go the extra leg to Bakersfield, then follow these directions:

4. From SW California, from Bakersfield, go E to Isabella Lake, up the west side of the lake, then proceed N to Johnsondale.

All: from Johnsondale: turn N on forest service road 22S82, which is also called Lloyd Meadow Road, and drive up (I think it's about 8 miles or so, but I'm fuzzy on this). We'll be about 1 mile below Lower Peppermint, which should center you pretty well. Up along the road, you'll pass signs like "camp 1," "camp 2," etc. We'll be in Camp 5. Exit for that is on the RIGHT side of the road (earlier I told you left, sorry). Once off the highway, the pavement ends. You'll meander down back off-roads toward the river, which the ranger tells me is called Lower Peppermint Creek (earlier I may have told you it was the Kern River).

I want to explain that this is not like the kind of campspace numbering systems you my be used to. It is more of an "area." Thus, Camp 5 may have several sites in it, so you may have to hunt around a bit for us. We plan to leave late Thursday evening, and will try to arrive about 7 hours later, also will try to put up some balloons, signs, whatever. Anyway, trek around on these backroads until you find yourself at the bottom on the creek in a large, open flat space, which I think contains a self-made fire-ring or two. The ranger tells me there's 2 ways to get down there, one steep, and the other more bland, but that both end up basically at the same place, though you may have to drive around a bit to find us.

Special note: I highly recommend investing in even the cheapest CB radio, and setting it to channel 2.

If anyone has any questions, and needs to phone me, feel free: 510.376.4321

Once at camp, I'm fairly certain we are so far out in the wilderness that cellular phones (and maybe even pagers) will probably not work.

In addition to whatever else you might take camping make sure to bring the following:

folding chairs tables firewood (LOTS, please) ice first aid-kit water drinks food stuff against bugs fishing/swimming gear homebrew! (this trip promises to be a homebrew orgy :)