Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 18:38:23 +0000
From:         tjparker@pacificnet.net (Tim Parker)
Subject:      The "return;" EV crunch; busfires

Troops!

I'm back!

Actually, I somehow get dumped off lists whenever my server burps or something, and a couple of months ago that happened with the vanagon list. I was so busy that I savored only getting about 5 or 10 messages a day from the other lists, but now I'm getting LONELY!

Also, I want to do a couple of things: Thank you to Trace for sending me the EV electrical diagrams. Trace, that is going to be a great help in sorting out my 93 EV woes, because the problem appears to still be with me and the warranty on all but the powertrain has expired. I asked at VW about the Bently Manual, and it doesn't look like it's going to be available any time soon, so I may be interested in sending you an actual check to cover copying the rest of the pre-publication manual you might have, if you're interested.

Saw a couple of fire trucks wiz by today while dropping my son off at school. Was alarmed because the smoke was coming from the direction to my house. Turned out to be a breadloaf completely gutted about a block from my house. I hate to see that, particularly since the cause is so often the fuel line fitting to the carb that most list members probably know about.

Also, just got the EV back from the body shop on Friday. I'd just about gotten home from a long drive to give a talk to the GATE kids at Del Norte High, in Crescent City, where my sister teaches, when some guy in a full-size Chevy pickup rear-ended my van in rush hour traffic. I saw his truck first after the accident, with the mangled bumper and dented hood and grille, and figured I was in for a caved in rear door. Much to my surprise, the bumper brackets on the EV caused the damage to his bumper (the EV tupperware bumper was cracked pretty bad), and the plastic thingy over the door latch dented his hood! Except for a tiny ding in the door, there was no real damage to the EV body at all! The body shop repainted the door and replaced the latch cover anyway, plus the bumper, which wound up costing 850 bucks. Geez, I used to buy my buses for that!

Oh yeah, by the way: While driving down the 101 south of Eureka, I saw a "real" EV Westfalia. Not a Winnie Bagoo or Weekender, but an actual camper. Not long wheelbase either, but apparently based on a delivery van (no left rear window cutout). Elderly couple was driving it.

-Tim Parker 93 EV GL 60 Singlecab (For Sale) 29 Model A Ford