Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 19:14:28 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Wm. L. Nothstine" <wln@lclark.edu>
Subject:      lurker decloaks after dingus falls off the carb on 1970 bus:

This message is in MIME format. The first part should be readable text, while the remaining parts are likely unreadable without MIME-aware tools. Send mail to mime@docserver.cac.washington.edu for more info.

--RAA25759.834540793/sun.lclark.edu

[An ungraceful but honest subject line.] Greetings to all on this list; I've been reading it since I gave a home to a '70 bus in March, but now it's time for me to speak up.

[Bus background: Neglected for several years by PO and no record of its treatment before he got it. Some projects left unfinished by PO. Still, body's in good shape and after some tuning-up (or tooning-up, depending on your point of view) it's been running pretty well. AE block number indicates a '71 engine; that's a long story for another post. My plan is to gradually get it back to pretty-good (but probably not excruciatingly- correct) stock, and use it regularly for around-town. Now to The Problem:]

The Problem appeared yesterday, when it refused to idle when cold. I got it home and inspected it today to see if the cam on the choke was engaging. In point of fact, it was down in the well under the main pulley, along with a 10mm nut and a thin flat washer.

I may be a little new at this, but I knew this was clearly not good. On inspection, at least one part still seems to be missing from the assembly: A hook-shaped drive arm, about 3cm long, that fits over the same shaft as the cam and appears to seat on the half-round threaded portion of the shaft and hook over one edge of the cam. [It's a Solex 30 pict 3 carb.] The Haynes manual includes this thing in some drawings and photos of the carb, and not others, but never seems to discuss it. My questions:

1. Does this doodad have a proper name? "Hook-shaped thingie" isn't going to cut it, nomenclature-wise, when/if I call the FLAPS.

2. From my [probably imperfect] description, does it sound like there are any other parts I lost in the process?

3. Just how screwed am I? How hard will it be to find a replacement for the missing piece[s], and at what likely cost?

4. When I got the bus from the PO, I inherited its former SB engine, including its dual carbs [see above, re: long story]. That engine's stored across town so I haven't checked--but might I be able to find the part[s] I need there, as well as an assembled carb to study so I'll know how to put everything back on in the correct sequence etc.?

5. Is there anything else I should know about trying to replace it all? Carburetors spook me a little.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

best, Bill Nothstine

p.s. I get VANAGON in digest mode, which affects when and in what order I see postings. --RAA25759.834540793/sun.lclark.edu--