Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 22:55:12 -0400
From:         Jon Hathaway <jonr@empire.net>
Subject:      What a Dilemma...

Well fellow Listees, I'm really in a quandry....

Re: Busses in the Bushes message from last week...

made a deal on half the Stuff in that message.... seems Dad does not yet want to part with the deceased sons Vw stuff, okay... most of it was useless Bug stuff anyway... so I bought the '67 Westy from the living son/owner along with a couple of OE wood slat bug roof-racks and a couple of tow bars ( one bug and one maybe bus...)coupla tranny/gearbox units, spare motor, and yet undiscovered things that "go with the camper"... the guy is kinda tickled that someone would want to Restore this "tired old bus"...

Now my problem... I already own a low mileage '64 Deluxe Bug that needs about $1500-$2000 to make it a nice little car... Rock solid floors, etc. needs minor body work, paint, and new interior( it's the cloth pinstripe...)

the bus is a late '67 Westy pop-top: COMPLETE... everything including childs cot... all interior equipment was removed in '73 and put in storage( Excellent condition) bus has been sitting outside in a field since '73 and was used to store early Bug sheet metal... before it was parked it had a minor right side brush with a tree...floor on right side behind passenger side divider has fair sized hole thru... cargo door sills are weak and sagging...door posts have little or no rust/structural damage... frame seems to have surface rust, but didn't find any rust thru ( bringing it home thursday, will be alot more thorough then...)roofrack is a full rack with middle section removed to fit around pop-top(very well done...) a little rust but not bad... Wife says I can only keep one... Roofracks are already spoken for at $400 ea...keeping what I think is a early bus tow bar...

I want to keep the Bus,but it is gonna cost much more to Bring back to 100%...( I figure at least $3000-$5000)

What should I do...??? I have someone who is interested in The Westy complete... I also have someone who wants the Bug, but for alot less money...

HELP....

JonR

reply soon as the bus is coming home Thursday and wife wants a decision by end of Weekend....