Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 11 Jun 1996 23:41:26 -0400
From:         Remuse@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Cost of Hobbies

Rodney asks if anyone can punch holes in his theory of depreciating restoration costs as a way of rationalizing absurd expenditures.

As one who has given up hope of containing the costs to a double on my $3900 original purchase, I submit the true test is asking if you would do it again knowing what you know at the end. The answer for all except the true nut ought to be "No, I'd rather pick off the other poor schmuck who doubled his cost and is now selling for half."

Rodney is correct that once you're at the back end of your project you have no other way to justify your poor decision except a multiyear depreciation schedule.

BTW, I saw a 74 Thing in the paper tonight in need of "minor repair" for only $1,200...Hmmmmmmmm

Weston