Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 1996 10:24:13 -0400
From:         "David Easterwood" <deasterw@st6000.sct.edu>
Subject:      Re: Westfalia Interiors

>Hi Dave... is there an archive somewhere that explains the >differences between the many models of camper packages...?? > > I've seen you mention SO-42 and such, where do I find out about >them...?? I just bought a '67 westy pop-top walk-thru and wanna get an >idea if it is worth restoring ie: rare interior or just >run-of-the-mill... > > any info would be most welcome.... > > JonR

I am by no means an expert on the Westy interiors, but here is what I think I know... :) (corrections welcome)

1956-58 Campbox interior (don't know the SO number) Wood cabinets including a roll-top desk type cabinet over the engine & gas tank shelf that blocked the view out the back window. Submarine roof hatch.

1958-61 SO-23 interior. Arguably the classiest and most sought after Westy interior. Wood cabinets w/ brass trim. Put into bench seat Kombis. Submarine roof hatch.

1962-63 SO-34 interior. Wood cabinets w/ brass trim. Jump seat between 2 rear cabinets. Put into walk-thru Kombis, but seat back bulkheads were cut out and a boat type bench flip seat was installed. Submarine roof hatch.

1962-63 SO-35 interior. Same as SO-34 except white Melamine or Formica over plywood cabinets w/o brass trim.

1964-67 SO-42 interior. Most common Westy interior. Cabinets were plywood w/ woodgrain Formica finish. Came in both bench seat and walk-thru Kombis. Came with or without poptop. If original will have A42, B42, or C42 on vin plate behind passenger seat.

1964-67 SO-44 interior. Another sought after Westy interior. Were used in some Westys and a lot of Dormobiles. Cabinets were plywood w/ woodgrain Formica finish. Came in bench seat Kombis only. There was a row of cabinets behind the front seat bulkhead that housed a stove and icebox. I suspect Dormobile chose this as one of their interiors due to the extra structural integrity of the front seat bulkhead keeping the frame rigid even after cutting the huge hole in the roof for their top. I've never seen an ORIGINAL walk-thru Dormobile.

Rick & Susan Crandall in Washington did some good articles on Westfalia interiors about a year ago in the Old Bus Review, NEATO's bi-monthly newsletter (yet another shameless plug for NEATO!).

When Tom sends me transcriptions of the back issues I will format them and add them to the NEATO web page at

http://www.mindspring.com/~deasterw/neato.html

(the plugs just keep plugging!)

Michael Heron and Clara can probably add to what I have here. Your interior is most likely the SO-42. Check the vin plate.

Dave