Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 1996 17:52:38 -0400
From:         Michael Crowley <crowley@psc.edu>
Subject:      81 vanagon starting problem

Todays puzzle , Please help

81 vanagon 2 L fuel injected air cool

This beast is giving trouble when starting. THe symptoms are:

try to start: engine starts but cuts out after about 1 sec. Try again: same Try again: stays on for 2 sec. Try again: 1 sec. . . . Starts and stays on.

The stopping has the feel of either fuel injection or ignition. While it is running it is smooth, when it stops, it doesn't sputter or cough or anything, just cuts out like someone pulled the iginion wire. Once it is running for more than 3 sec. it stays running. If you stop and start it again, most of the time it just starts up but sometimes even with a warmed-up engine, I get the same behavior. It is quite erratic in that it is always a different number of trials to start it. It needs a tuneup right now and the timing is a bit retarded The points may be pretty cruddy. I don't thonk that this could have the effect I am seeing but maybe somebody else knows.

What do you think?

Mike Crowley Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center crowley@psc.edu