Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 12 Jun 1996 16:52:27 -0600
From:         meek@oanet.com (Gary Meek)
Subject:      Diesel engine and tranny removal, 82 Vanagon

Gerry:

Taking out the diesel motor connected to the tranny is the only way to go, and quite easy too.

I jack up the rear end about eight inches and put the rear wheels down on ramps which are about that height. Disconnect the gear shift rod, reverse gear backup light switch wiring, CV joints, and all hosing and wiring with respect to the motor. Don't forget the oil dipstick tube, by unscrewing it where it bolts to the metal elbow. Put a piece of wood under the oil pan to distribute the load of the motor that will be pushing down on the jack that you are now putting under the motor. (The diesel oil pan is very delicate, so the wood is a must! ! ! Unbolt the 2 inch diameter support pipes where they connect to the chassis, but leave them connected to the support arms/motor mounts. While your assistant operates the jack, you can hold on to the pipes close at hand to the rubber motor mounts and steady the mass as it is lowered. Leave the most forward mount on the transmission (which is pivotable) connected to the van chassis. This mount will act like a hinge and allow you to slowly lower both engine and tranny together. When engine is on the ground, then place the jack under the tranny and unbolt the mount on the forward end of the tranny. When everything is on the ground, you can slide the motor out the back. I can't remember if I had to take the engine support arm and pipe off of the left side, and rotate the motor a little in order to get sufficient clearance.

Does you van have a diesel auxiliary heater? If so, I have a few comments I'll make, on that conversion back to gasoline.

Transfer your fuel pump over from the '84. The diesel doesn't have electrical power for the gasoline fuel pump, I don't think. I suppose you can block off the diesel fuel return fuel line, as you won't need that for the gas engine, will you?

I suppose you will be selling the motor and tranny from the diesel?

Good luck

gary meek sherwood park, alberta, canada 82 Vanagon td 83 Quantum td