Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 1996 02:46:09 -0400
From:         Claralw@aol.com
Subject:      Re: thanks, update, and more questions

1) Squeaky distributor. My engine squeaks. It usually does it the first five minutes or so of driving. It is more noticable at idle. I thought it could be the generator, but I disconnected the generator pulley and the squeaking persisted. I put my head in the engine when it was running, and it seemed to be coming from the distributor. How should I fix this? - - - -

assuming that you have a mechanical advance distributor, drop a few drops of clean oil on the fiber in the middle of the shaft. you have to pull off the cap and rotor to do this

also, make sure you have greased the shaft where the points hit the lobes.

3) Carburetor pre-heat hose. The PO connected an air hose from a hole on the upper right of the fan shroud to a hole under the air intake of the air cleaner (stock oil air cleaner). I didn't think anything of it until I saw a picture in the RMMW catalog of a carburetor pre-heat hose running from a hole in the rear engine tin to the air cleaner. Which way is correct? Would introducing heated air into the carburetor from underneath the rear engine tin help my cold engine idling problems? - - -

the pre heat hose should run from the air cleaner through a hole in the rear tin to euther the hot air blown over the cylinders, or to a connector to the muffler. if you live in a climate prone to 34 degrees and raining (all from western washington say yo) this will help you prevent carb icing and cold idling.