Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 1996 17:38:43 -0500 (EST)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      EV A/C Preventative Maint.

Before I left for France, I dropped the EV off to have the dealer check out the A/C. When I got home, they said: "It just needed a recharge...no leaks".

Ok, I figured I dodged a bullet...

Tuesday afternoon the A/C started blowing non-cooled air, so I called the dealer told them I had the same problem...they said bring it in on Thursday.

Last night I decided to do some snooping, and came across the problem, and hopefully save you EVers some grief.

My problem was with the pressure relief valve located on the receiver/dryer (the silver looking beer canned sized piece) located in the right front wheel well. It also happens to be located right directly in front of the tire.

Now VW has decided to shield the horn from debris but not this piece. Aparently the pressure relief valve took a couple of hits over the year from tire/road debris and decided to quit....

Now my parts book for the EV lists the pressure valve as a separate piece from the receiver/dryer....however VWUS sells the whole assy...for $220...or at my discount price $170....

I called a local A/C repair shop, they said bring the valve down....I took the valve off....brought it down to the A/C shop. They matched it up with a used one. Gave it to me, no charge...

Anyway, now to the preventative maintanance....

Next time you refill your windshield washer (what the hell does THIS have to do with A/C???) resivoir, save the windshield washer container. Crawl under the right front wheel well and make a plastic debris shield for your reciever/dryer and pressure relief valve. Hint...you can hold the whole thing in place using the same clamp that holds the receiver dryer in place!!

Total cost $0.00....money saved $225+.

Oh yeah...the VW dealer recharged the system and pressure checked it (again) for no charge....

Ric