Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:03:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: Bat Signal

>Last time I broke down, a guy in a *Jaguar* stopped to get out and help push >the beast. Used to have a VW, he said.

Years ago (1989) I was driving a Sunbeam Alpine (what??) northward from Denver on I-25. This is a little 2-seat British sports car, sort of like an MG, and pretty rare even then since they broke down a LOT). Fan belt broke and temperature gauge started heading quickly skyward (this belt also drove the generator and the water pump), so I pulled over and shut it down.

In the middle of a cornfield in the middle of nowhere, I figured nobody around had ever heard of British cars, much less my particular one.

Ten minutes later, what should come tooling innocently along, but... another Sunbeam Alpine, owned and driven by the president of the local Sunbeam club, who was out for a spin with his wife. Normally you can go for a month without seeing one of these on the road, especially in Colorado.

He pulled over, cluck-clucked over the engine, apologized for not having a spare belt, or two more seats for my wife and I. Let me ride shotgun sitting sideways behind the seats to go to a phone, then brought me back, where a tow truck shortly arrived...

If VWs have Karma Bat-Signals, then Alpines must have air raid sirens. They need them. :^)