Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 1996 03:01:51 -0400
From:         BusBoys@aol.com
Subject:      Re: upholstery question

Sean writes: >Problem: all the stores only carry the upholstery as >a set, for both front seats, costing around $100. Well, dammit, I don't want >the whole freakin' set, I just want one damn driver's side seat cover. Why >must >they sell it as a whole set?????

There are a couple of reasons for this - 1)Economics - To manufacture, stock and sell front seat cover inventories in just single seats is cost PROHIBITIVE - the price for them would be about 35% higher than buying them in sets (or pairs) - 2) All seat covers come in all kinds of colors, but let's just say ya want brown (and hope the brown you get is REAL close to the one in the passenger seat and that the pattern is close enough too). Vinyl, Velour (and Carpet for that matter,) have color names but in each production run of a color name, the color dye is NOT exactly the same as the previous run. It will be close, but NOT exact. Most people want their seats to match, so this is why seat cover manufacturers (such as TMI, Sewfine, etc.,) do all of their production runs from a single supply of material from a certain dye lot, making sure that the covers, carpets, etc., all match as close as possible. When that dye lot is exhausted, they schedule another production run. Again it relates to economics (see #1 above) and pleasing the majority of customers who do not want mis-matched seats, floor mats and carpets. I've learned from experience from ordering complete seat cover sets (front/middle/rear) to indicate that I want them from the same color dye lot to prevent slight color mis-matching. How would you like to buy a set of front seat covers and the driver's and passenger's color was just slightly off? I'd bet ya be venting about that too, right?

But I do wish you good luck in finding someone who just may have a "broken" set of hog-ring seat covers, but it may be slim at best. BTW, the covers are the same 77-79.

Jim / BusBoys@aol.com