Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 96 12:09:28 +0200
From:         verbeek@the-hague.stbv.slb.com (brian verbeek)
Subject:      Books & Berg Catalog, LONG

Yesterday i received some new books and a catalog thanks to the help of a fellow V@L listmember (who's name shall not be printed here, he might become something like a book shop against his will) I'm very happy with all of them and here what i found.

First the "How to Hot Rod VW engines" book by Bill Fisher, nice book as it always has been. This book was actually one of my very first VW books, i accuired in around '86/'87, i've consulted it almost on a daily basis since, i know most of the book by heart, it helps me think. I wanted this new one to replace the almost 25yo one i have (relax, i haven't trown it away :) ) ok not really 'replace' but now i can use the new one while preserving the old one. I've seen the new version in several US VW parts catalogs, and i thought that the newer books were revised and adjusted to the knowledge, market and low compression of today. Not. I only had a quick look, but the book itself appears to be exactly the same as the old one i have, except for the last page, the old book has a picture of an early bolt on turbo kit. The new one doesn't and has some empty pages for notes. The old book has six pictures on the back, the upper left one shows Gene Berg as the driver of Doug Gordon's Underdog race car. What *really* irritates me is the front and back cover of the new edition, i assume that these were changed by someone at HP Books, and i think he didn't know anything on the subject and he probably consulted the VW Rags to find out what would sell this book. On the front is a picture of a fully chromed engine, something that Bill Fisher doesn't recommend in his book, so i guess that the one who modified the covers didn't even read the book. Also the headers on the front, "all about turbo charging" or something like that, Bill doesn't even really cover the subject, he touches it briefly. On the back you'll find a text something to the effect of Kewl, soupurfaast, 300 Hp, DIY, in minutes and some horrible pictures.

But inside: still the good old book by Bill Fisher, be carefull with his compression ratios recommendations though, this is advice based on the experience with engines running on 1970s fuel. Also, there are some addresses in there, on one of the first pages it allready tells you that these may have changed and/or don't exist anymore, (like EMPI in Riverside?) I also found that the new book's pictures (which are exactly the same as the old pictures) are sharper and show more detail.

I'm still very happy that i have the new copy, i'm really attached to my old one, it has become a part of me, it started to wear a little too fast.

The Weber book, this one also: i only looked at it briefly but: It has a lot of drawings, explanations and some charts with basic jet size configurations from which to start jetting. It features more than enough valuable info and data to justify the time spent on reading it from what i could see. The writer fails to explain a lot of things because he thinks that these tasks are too difficult to be carried out by his readers, but i'd rather make that decision myself. Berg, for instance, even explains the procedure on how to properly align bore a case, he doesn't recommend it nor does he offer the service to his customers, still he thinks it's valuable to us, and how many of us have the tooling at home to linebore a case? I can't say more about the book so far.

The Berg catalog, Interesting, a must have if you're into non T4 engined aircooled VWs:

I still have to get used with it's "We are the best, most knowledgeable, and all else sucks" attitude. What i admire most is the tremendous attention to detail. Gene Berg often tracks problems down to heat expansion rates and material grain problems. He succeeds in explaining why his products are superior and/or why one should use product such and such. A good example are chromoly headstuds, if you see them in a Bugpack catalog you might think that these are the ones you want to use in that SuperMegaUltraPowerfullFastReliableSmoothPerfect engine that a lot of us intend to build some day. Berg explains that they are not suitable for an aircooled VW motor since their heat expansion rate is incorrect. The stock VW headstuds are perfectly well thought out and are made of a certain material and heat treated in a certain way to provide the correct expansion rate. This is neccessary to keep the torque setting on the headstuds more or less the same throughout the VWs operating temperature range. Swapping the studs for chromoly ones that do not expand as much as the stock ones will give you a much higher torque on the stud, it can pull it out of the case (or bend the case and or head maybe) the result will almost always be loose and damaged heads and cylinders. Chromoly studs on a race is a different story, it will be disassembled frequently and you might have problems with heads popping off :)

Really, get the Berg catalog, it's worth it, in the future i want to try and get a copy of Berg's Installation instructions and his other manual.

Further, if you're interested in getting a lot of info and backgrounds regarding your aircooled VW, i'd like to say that neither of the above or any other book alone should be your guide/helper, and if you're new to this list: also check out the website that contains most of Bob Hoover's postings to this list, if you haven't allready done so.

Please note that the above is my personal opinion and that i nor my employer have anything to do with any of the companies or products mentioned whatsoever.

Thanks for listening,

Brian

The Netherlands '73 Singlecab originally upright 1600