Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 1996 15:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Seat Swap (was: WTB: 73 Bus seats with headrest (Connectiuct  area))

>>Do Vanagon seats have the same rail spacing as breadloaf vans?

The '80 V6anagon has rails that you slide the seat sideways onto, and then insert small bolts to hold the seat in place. I'd imagine that this is what all '80 Vanagons have for the center seat-- am I right?

But my '71 bus, and the '69 bus before it, had no rails at all for the center seat. They had small metal plates welded to the floor in strategic spots, with an oblong hole where you could fit a T-shaped bolt and a cast hook-shaped piece to hold the seat down

Are we talking the same seats here? I'm sure the center seat is removed and replaced far more often than, say, the fronts. In fact, I've *never* had occasion to remove a front seat in a bus, except for the '71 non-walk-thru, which had the spare tire under the front seat. No rails there, either-- just a couple of heavy steel guides with slots that the seat fit down into.

Asid from that rather unique bus, I haven't a clue what the front seats of a 'loaf sit on. My apologies if I'm talking about the wrong seats here. When the upholstery of my '69 bus's front seats got too shredded, I simply applied more duct tape. :^)

But my V6anagon center-seat mount, isn't even close to the center seat mount of every upright-engine baywindow I've ever seen. No way can they swap, unless you want to do some cutting and welding.