Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 14 Jun 1996 17:20:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Dwight Mattix<dmattix@qualcomm.com> (Dwight Mattix)
Subject:      (can do) Aluminum Crank Case..Weld or Replace?

used to have a lot of cases welded when i worked as an A&P on general aviaton type engines (lycoming, continental, et al). had success w/ some extreme failures in aircraft powerplants. like when a jug would blow off taking a section of the case w/ it.

would use Nixon's in LA area. FAA approved. Gotta be good enough for VW too. been 10 - 15 years. don't know if they're still there or how to contact. any good heliarc guy should be up to it.

also did w/ cracked motorcycle cases when chain would come off and bust a chunk out. weld it up and mill out seal/bearing seats as needed.

on one hand, it'd be a cool experiment for you, but, might cost you to a bit for a good welder to do it right. my recollection is that doing it right means heat treating for stress relief.

actually, i think more accurate term is that annealing is what you'd want -- oven you can do this yourself good enough for gov work if you've an available stink_up_able oven. heat it up ~500F (my swag) in an oil bath, hold it there 24 hrs., turn oven off and let it cool in it's own sweet time. the slower ramp down, the better. probably some materials guy out there who can tell me why i'm nuts/off the mark, but that's my recollection of what worked/was judged airworthy.

i'd be tempted to try it, but that takes into account a certain propeller head quotient. what's the risk? it ends up leaking again?

on the other hand a good VW case isn't _that_ expensive and is an opportunity to convert/try hydraulic lifters for a little extra denaro.

in a $erious pinch? never underestimate the ability of JB Weld. i put many years, miles, trips down the strip on my T3 w/ JB weld repaired tranny nose cone with no problems. Musta been in 30 pieces before reconstruction w/ epoxy. granted that probably wasn't as severe duty as your engine case. only thing in your case, epoxy wouldn't do anything if the crack wanted to propogate further.

my $.02, dwight