Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 20 Jun 1996 17:12:10 +0100
From:         Sarah Gallagher <sarah@sprynet.co.uk>
Subject:      Hi Again + 1962 timing help

Hi again all you listers (well, the ones who noticed I'd gone, anyway!) Intrepid girl-mechanic from hell is back. <g>

My 1962 campervan has been neglected by me as it has been exam season. I've been using it alot & carrying quite heavy loads (oh why do I volunteer for these things?). It started sounding pretty rough a few days ago & the red light was flickering sometimes. Turns out the fan-belt was slipping slightly. I managed to chip a piece off the generator pulley trying to get it off yesterday (oops), but I got it tight again.

What problems are there with too-loose valves - just lower power? I did them a couple of months ago, but when I checked them yesterday some were more like .008 than .006 (I erred too much on the safe side last time).

Timing question:

This van has a 1966 engine.. The crankshaft pulley has TWO notches in it -- Muir says in an early edition that the first (LH) notch is 7.5deg. BTDC , and the second (RH) notch is 10deg. BTDC. Is this right? According to a later copy of Muir I should have 3 timing notches.

My boyfriend has taught me a presumably unorthodox timing method without using a static light. Set the engine at 7.5deg BTDC (or whatever), set the distributor at the exact point it sparks as you rotate it.

What advantages are there to using a light over this method?

The spark was all over the place - big difference in strength & position. Would this be because the point gap was wrong? (that was a nightmare too... I need to get some emery paper & file it down & try again).

specific advice & general encouragement welcome.

Bonus question: does it matter that I broke a little piece out of the generator pulley? I've effectively lengthened one of the notches, but haven't warped it.

The brakes are still doing great BTW :-) Clutch is hanging in there (that'll be my epic job for this winter).

Sarah '62 Dormobile --------------------- sarah@sprynet.co.uk http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/slg/