Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 22 Jun 1996 23:09:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:         eugp@uclink3.berkeley.edu (Eugene C. Palmer)
Subject:      Vallejo

Volks,

I'm all packed up ready to go for tomorrow, I think. I got the whacked bus smogged for easy selling, stripped it out rather severly, (best offer over $300). I got type 3 FI kit, 32 PDSIT kit, Dellorto DRLA kit, old bus seats, doors, hatches, heads, a cool stroked CW crank, rod & flywheel kit, box o dizzys, box o lifters, box o rods. The box o camshafts I'm keeping to make candlestick holders from. And for the swap scene, tables, chairs, cooler with sandwiches, juice, watermelon. Sunscreen, hats, and if all goes well in the morning, a small keg o home brew. Please don't let me get stopped by the cops with a tapped keg in the car. I guess I should untap it eh? Friends lined up to assist (Deiter is a genuine German). Complimentary hand towels and sparkplugs for the customers. Beer for listmembers, but we gotta be subtle.

Whacked bus, a 1776 with all stock smog stuff, timed at 5 ATDC, was 49 parts where 700 are allowed (HC), and .44% CO where 6.00% is allowed. It always seems to impress the smog techs. It runs hotter'n hell, due mostly to it's early non-doghouse fan and cooler, even though it's set for low compression. Might even have to stop on the twenty mile run to the sight, strictly an around the town car.

Oh yeah, I almost thought the smog check was done when the tech goes for the timing. Puts a strobe on it and says, "Wheres the mark?" It was an earlier pulley with 0, 7.5, & 10 BTDC marks, ain't no 5 ATDC mark, I was just putting it there cause I knew thats where it's supposed to be. This was the same shop where the exact same engine was smogged in October. Oh well, had to change the pulley to a degreed aftermarket one that they could read and verify. Luckily I had one lying around and the change took all of about a half-hour. Passed right away after that. So next time I'm going to file a notch where I want them to see the timing mark. Also oh yeah, I did not put the smog elbow on because this shop didn't seem to know about it the last time around. This time one of the other techs kept pointing under the car, but the guy actually doing the check still had no idea what he was talking about, and actually fooled with the heat exchanger connection, thinking this was what the other guy was pointing too. Yeah right. I just had the pre-heat tube going through the rear tin and it stopped right there.

See ya, Eug, '71's