Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         24 Jun 1996 10:27:11 -0700
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Where is fuel pump relay

Electronic Mail Correspondence Date: 6/24/96 Time: 9:59 AM Subject: Where is fuel pump relay Ref:

My apologies to the rest of the list, a direct reply bounced with "illegal address", but then again this probably applies to all FI bus owners. Harvey ======================

Lisa - if your fuel pump relay is flakey, then, in my experience in a very similar BOSCH setup in BMWs, your vehicle's "main" relay probably is not too far behind with similar behavior (in fact, it may be the culprit and not your fuel relay - also another possibility is a worn contact on your ignition switch between the start and run positions). Because (at least in my BMW) the main relay is unique and cannot be "swapped" with another same p/n relay used elsewhere in the car, if the main relay goes, you are stuck /DIW [Dead In the Water]. (In my car, the fuel pump relay is NOT unique and can be swapped for the same p/n in some other circuit.)

These relays are relatively inexpensive and can be changed easily (if you can find where they are). I strongly recommend that you change both at this time. I also carry spare relays for those two circuits, "just in case". Don't ask how I know and how long/many times . . . .:-( .

Harvey '82 Vanagon bunker burner '86 BMW 528e