Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 16 Jul 1996 09:50:41 CST6CDT
From:         "Dan Houg" <fairwind@northernnet.com>
Subject:      Westy Tent Poles - roll yer own

After searching unsuccessfully for a looonng time for a set of the "Y" poles for the Westy Bigtop tent I own, I finally got up the gumption to fabricate a set. As it turns out, this was extremely easy to do with some ready-made gazebo awning parts available widely.

The gazebo parts are strong metal pipe connectors available in a wide variety of configurations and angles. They are made to use 3/4" metal electrical conduit and have wing-nut set screws for securing the conduit. The connectors are, unfortunately, made in China but seem stout and welded fairly well. They have a poor quality aluminum colored paint finish that rubs off. I essentially fabricated an entire top framework and used only the OEM adjustable legs from the tent pole set. Even these would not be necessary as pre-measured and cut conduit would work for these also.

Parts:

4 angled connectors for the corners with one leg canted to form a peak. $4.99 each

2 ridge pole connectors, angled to match peak formed by corner pieces. $3.99 each

"sufficient" 3/4 inch steel electrical conduit @ $2.99 per 10 foot length. 4 - 5 foot sections are used to connect the ridge pole to each side pole. the ridge pole and 2 side poles are made with 6+ foot lengths, I forget the exact measurement. so, in *theory* once could get by with 5 - 10 foot lengths of conduit. I won't detail the mistakes in cutting i made nor the amount extra i had to buy. :(

End-to-end connectors are available to allow any long section of pole to be cut in half for easier storage. They are $1.99 each and i did not use any of these as the poles store well in the bed of the Westy.

Cutting of the conduit is easily accomplished using a copper-pipe tubing cutter but plan on buying a new cutting wheel after doing the steel conduit. The rotary cutter leaves a nice, burr-free edge with the flashing rolled inward.

I've camped 5 nights now in this tent and the poles have withstood high winds, pouring rain, and a good deal of sunshine :) Setup is quick with the wingnut connectors and the poles in one piece configuration. I think splitting the poles for easier storage would decrease their strength and increase setup hassles.

-dan