Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 1996 01:11:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Terry Tan <terrytan@ritz.mordor.com>
Subject:      Re: 1988 Westy low Oil pressure

> > My friend's 1988 vanagon has low oil pressure, when ideling and not when > accelerating or traveling fast. He DOES have 20w50 weight oil in his > vehicle. He brought his van in to a shop and had a gauge hooked up and > indeed he has low oil pressure, so the switches are not at fault. The > problem gets worse as the engine gets hotter.

What kind of oil filter is he using ? My guess is he is using a Fram. If so replace it with another brand. Make sure it has the pressure relief valve inside. Look inside the center of the filter. if it is plain it does not a have the valve. If it exist you will notice it. Replace with new oil. Let us know if the problem goes away before he tries doing other things. It is common knowledge among us who are on the list awhile that Fram filters are unsuitable for Vanagons. Another experience is Champion brand spark plugs. Twice I bought plugs for my mercedes and VW and one in the pack of four was bad. I just dont know whether it was my lousy luck or their quality is that bad. From now on I just use NGK or Bosch even though they cost much more.