Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 29 Jul 1996 14:55:29 -0400
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Latest Kennedy Engineered Products info (was: 88 Synchro Exhaust...)

In a message dated 96-07-27 19:42:02 EDT, smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith) writes:

>Get hold of Kennedy Engineered Products, in California, (sorry, no number)

They're in Palmdale, CA at (805)272-1147. I just (7-29-96) talked to Hobart Kennedy and Brett Baltau there. They've been in the VW clutch and engine swap business since 1968.

>They sell a full kit to fit the Subaru in properly,

This is specifically for the 2.2L engine from 1990 to current. This engine is rated at 135HP. You must get the engine, computers and complete wiring harness from the donor Subaru Legacy. The kit costs around $1,475. for an automatic transmission equipped, watercooled van and includes: instructions, exhaust header, miscellaneous coolant plumbing, motor mounts, heat shields, and instructions to modify the Subaru wiring harness. Options: Kennedy modifying your Subaru wiring harness, add: $280; Front-filled radiator for air cooled van: add $300, you still supply most of the other coolant pipes. They currently do not have a throttle linkage for manual transmission vans, but I suspect an order would get them to come up with one. This kit is made so that you use your existing catalytic convertor and muffler. If you care to fabricate some of the parts yourself, all of the kit's parts are available seperately also.

> CA smog certified also.

NOT so. They're still in the process of getting CARB (CA Air Resources Board) approval and are having trouble finding the right catalytic convertor. When this approval is obtained, the CA kit will require the use of Kennedy supplied cat and muffler. This will add approximately $200 to the cost of the kit. They'll be going back to the CARB for approval in about one month.

>130HP vs. 95 is pretty appealing. or 155HP from newest Legacy Outback,

I understand the 2.2L is rated at 135HP - more appealing! They have not done any work on the newly available (1996) 2.5L, 155HP engine. They suspect some changes including changes in the wiring harness.

Regarding Syncros: Hobart said that he sold a kit to a Syncro owner and the owner called him back saying that there were problems mounting the Subaru into the Syncro due to the different spacing between the body and the engine in the Syncro. Hobart offered the owner his money back, but the Syncro owner elected to keep the kit. Hobart suspects that the Syncro owner adapted things to work, since he hasn't called back, but he doesn't know for sure how the Syncro installation worked out.

Regards, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg